Despite the fact that there are plenty of skincare products available to improve your skin, sometimes a more powerful device is needed to bring out the best in your skin. That’s when microdermabrasion comes in handy.
In fact, if you’re ready to take your skincare routine to the next level, microdermabrasion significantly improves the appearance of your skin, and helps considerably in treating sun damage, aging, acne scarring and other concerns with your skin.
So what is Microdermabrasion specifically?
A microdermabrasion facial treatment, gently removes the dull upper layer of dead skin to reveal fresh, healthier-looking skin below. It does so by using a microdermabrasion device which scrubs the face with small crystals, lightly buffing the face without damaging the skin at the surface. The result? Beautiful, radiant skin that is clearer, fresher and brighter.
While microdermabrasion isn’t invasive, it does require specialist tools and skills. As such, you should have it done by a qualified professional. While seated or lying down, a technician uses the appropriate tools to treat the target area. This advanced facial treatment encourages the production of collagen and elastin tissue, creating a firmer more youthful facial contour. Your skin will feel smooth and even due to the deep exfoliation. Depending on the condition and maturity of the skin, a series of micro treatments may be recommended in order to achieve optimum results.
There are actually 3 main types of dermabrasion, that we’ll briefly cover:
- Diamond-tip hand piece: Using multiple suctioning devices, this tool simultaneously removes dead skin cells while sloughing them off. A technician’s pressure and the duration of treatment determine the depth of a microdermabrasion. Since it’s so precise, it’s typically used to treat skin around the eyes.
- Crystal: With crystal microdermabrasion, fine crystals are sprayed onto the skin, removing dead cells as well as the outer layer of skin. Similarly, the skin is removed instantly by an inbuilt suction.
- Hydra dermabrasion: This version of microdermabrasion uses oxygen and water instead of crystals for exfoliating.
Key Advantages of Microdermabrasion:
- Wrinkles and fine lines are reduced
- Reduces age spots and hyperpigmentation
- Swollen pores and blackheads can be removed
- Reduces the scarring associated with acne
- Stretch marks are reduced by improving the texture of the skin
- Uneven skin tone and texture can be eliminated
- Helps to correct melasma (patches of discolouration)
- Can correct effects of sun damage
Is Microdermabrasion Painful?
Often when people hear ‘abrasion’, they think it’s painful. However, microdermabrasion is not supposed to hurt. If this is your first time, you may feel a little uncomfortable afterward and your skin might feel quite tight. Also, you may soon experience quite a bit of heat in the treated area.
Describe your level of comfort to your technician honestly. There is always the option to adjust the suction level, and if you have sensitive skin definitely don’t hesitate to inform the technician of this.
What is the Recovery Time?
Many people are concerned about how long the recovery process is when it comes to a microdermabrasion treatment. Typically full recovery is less than a day or two, and many patients will notice results within a couple hours of the procedure.
In general, it is best to treat your exfoliated skin with added attention and care following microdermabrasion, by using only mild skin care products that are gentle on the area. Of course, you’ll want to also follow any recommendations your skincare technician provides in relation to achieving a seamless and healthy recovery.
Considering Microdermabrasion? Set Up a Consultation at Cavana Ridge
If you are thinking about microdermabrasion as a way to help reduce the appearance of your fine lines, wrinkles, and other skin conditions, at Cavana Ridge we provide microdermabrasion as one of our specialized, spa services. Regain your youthful beauty and enjoy smoother, healthier looking skin!
Contact us today to book a consultation with one of our aestheticians