The health and condition of your hair are just as important as how pretty, long, or voluminous it is. However, taking care of your hair can become quite time-consuming, especially after all the colouring, curling, and heat treatment some of us do. With the right products, you can typically restore your hair to its former glory, no matter how damaged it is.
A hair mask provides the perfect solution to help repair damaged strands. While there is a range of formulas and price points available for these treatments, their essence is the same; applying one is sure to moisturize and strengthen strands, for a smoother and softer feel. Whether your hair is thirsty for additional moisture following ongoing colour appointments or your split ends have become a nuisance, a hair mask might be the best solution for a relatively quick fix.
While snapping a picture of your face mask may be more fun for the gram, hair masks are just as crucial as part of your self-care routine and do wonders in combating dull, dry, brittle, hair. So how do you choose the right hair mask to apply?
What Makes a Hair Mask Effective? Do Ingredients Matter?
A good hair mask is made from healthy hair products and the right combination of ingredients. A highly effective hair mask will promote the well-being, strength, and vitality of your hair, fortifying fried strands and smoothing damage-induced frizz, ultimately leaving your hair nourished and quenched – the final goal!
We suggest opting for a hair mask that features coconut oil, tea tree oil, avocado, grapeseed oil, olive oil, or macadamia oil. As well, masks that incorporate hydrolyzed proteins — made of amino acids and peptides are excellent for simultaneously helping to rebalance moisture and strengthen hair.
You’ll find that these ingredients have high concentrations of essential fatty acids, which help protect your hair against damage from the environment. They also help create an invisible barrier that locks in moisture so your hair stays nourished while you style.
While daily rinse-out and leave-in conditioners can also be beneficial for keeping your hair healthy, nothing works as well as deeply hydrating hair mask recipes that feature organic, natural ingredients. Many of which work with keratin to help form an environment where your hair can thrive.
For a hair mask to be effective, you need something that will penetrate deep down through your hair and into your scalp. This should be a product that can strengthen the cuticle and seal in moisture. In addition, it has to be thoroughly nourishing and moisturizing to prevent dryness and frizz.
Remember that when you apply any hair mask to your hair, especially to hair that is damp or thin, you have to be very careful not to rub or scrub the hair vigorously. You want to gently guide the mask into your hair using your fingers or a brush. Otherwise, you risk damaging the hair follicles or washing away all the healthy oils your hair is born with.
Let’s take a look at the simple process involved in applying a hair mask:
Healing Your Strands with a Hydrating Hair Mask: 7 Steps
- Make sure your hair is clean: Wash your hair with a quality shampoo so that it will absorb the key ingredients of your mask. Apply conditioner to your hair as usual before your mask if it is in poor condition or you feel it is particularly dry. The mask will replenish moisture if it doesn’t, so don’t worry about it.
- Remove excess moisture using a microfibre towel or cotton T-shirt: Masks work best when applied to damp hair rather than dry or soaking wet hair. This will allow the ingredients to penetrate the strand more effectively. To absorb water from your hair quickly without damaging it with friction, use a microfibre towel. If you don’t have one, a cotton t-shirt will do.
- Section your hair: If you have clips handy, section your hair into 3-4 layers before applying the mask one layer at a time to all your lengths.
- Apply your mask. Let’s get to the fun part, applying the hair mask! Gently massage the product into the mid-lengths and ends of your hair for 30 seconds. This will help the product penetrate and seal the cuticle for greater smoothness and shine. A little goes a long way with your mask, so do not go overboard. Start by smoothing a coin-sized amount through your mid-lengths and ends, then add extra if it doesn’t reach all the way to your ends.
- Wrap your hair in a hot towel or T-shirt: Some women find that this step enhances the results of their mask, but it isn’t a “must-do.” Apply a hot towel or cotton T-shirt to your mask-covered hair. Compression will maximize the results of your mask as the ingredients will have an easier time absorbing.
- Leave to soak in: Even though it’s okay to leave a mask on your hair longer than the instructions suggest, the recommended time should be followed to obtain the best results. You’ll need about 8-10 minutes for your hair mask to do its magic.
- Rinse well: Masks with nourishing ingredients boost the moisture in your hair so it looks healthy and vibrant. Once it has soaked in long enough, make sure to rinse your hair well so that your hair does not become heavy or greasy.
Luxurious Hair Masks Available at Atelier Hair
Find a wide selection of salon-grade hair masks, at Atelier Hair or through our online store. Each of our masks is lightweight and infused with a special blend of oils. Our Sebastian line features The Dark Oil Lightweight Mask which nourishes the hair whilst keeping the hair’s natural body. A favourite among many, this effective hair treatment leaves hair looking shiny and feeling silky; plus it is suitable for all hair types. Furthermore, we carry hair masks that are specifically formulated for curly hair and colour-treated hair.
Whatever product you’re interested in, we guarantee you’ll be more than pleased with the nourishment and strength one will surely give back to your hair. It’s time to bring that life back into your strands! We’ve got your hair goals covered at Atelier Hair.